20 April 2008

Ellie Krieger's Pumpkin (Spice) Muffins

So I know it isn't really the right time of year for these, but I was craving a spicy muffin and remembered that I had bookmarked Ellie Krieger's recipe in her recent book The Food You Crave. In case you haven't seen this book yet, it is absolutely beautiful! The pictures are tempting and luscious. The recipes are easy to follow and well-organized. My favorite part of the book are the little side notes and tips for healthy living. I really respect Ellie Krieger's passion for good food and healthy recipes. She specifically discourages making any food completely off-limit - my kind of lady! Instead, she preaches moderation and being cognizant of the food choices you are making. I am very happy with this book and recommend checking it out when you have a moment.

So on to the important stuff - the food! These muffins are out-of-this-world tender and moist with a delicious spicy flavor. I was blown away by how fatty they tasted!! The interior stayed soft and spongy for several days on the counter. Like most baked goods, I took them to work with me and everyone was happy! They couldn't believe the muffins were healthy.


Ellie Krieger's Pumpkin Muffins

Cooking spray
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-grain pastry flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used more of all the spices - more like heaping portions)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsulphered molasses
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk (I used 4% vanilla yogurt)
1/4 cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds (I messed up and used my sunflower seeds instead... oops!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. (I also used muffin cup liners)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, molasses, oil and 1 egg until combined. Add the other egg and whisk well. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk just until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I love these muffins so much! Aren't they wonderful? Definitely try her apple muffins, as well.

Ellie Krieger rocks my world.

Karen

RecipeGirl said...

We make muffins a lot in our house! I'm definitely going to take a peek at her cookbook. You've convinced me!

Josie said...

Karen- I think if Lori buys the Ellie Krieger book you are somewhat indirectly responsible for at least 3 people buying it (me, my sister and Lori!). You should get a cut of the proceeds :)

Lori- the whole book is gorgeous! I am really happy I bought it.