13 January 2008

Roast Chicken, Sort of...

I have good news and I have bad news. Bad news first, right? I didn't roast a chicken. I know, I know, I promised. And trust me, right now all I can think of is homemade Chicken and Noodles (which, in my house, begins with roast chicken....). Alas, the roasting did not have time. But, I swear the chicken was waylaid for an excellent reason.

Hence the good news, J was having so much fun with my nieces that we were seriously delayed in getting home and cooking. L lives about 2.5 hours from me and had never met J before. So we planned on going down for lunch and only staying for a little while. Well a little while turned into over 4 hours... which meant we didn't get back to Columbus until well after 6:00. J was starving so we decided to postpone roast chicken and go out to dinner.

I was totally fine with this on two levels. The first (and least important) is that my chicken wasn't thawed yet anyway. The second (and most important) is that I had no clue how J would act around my nieces. He was so cute, and they really seemed to like him. The nieces are pretty young (2.5 and 14 months), and I wasn't sure how they would react to "Aunt Josie's Friend". By the end of the afternoon, I was in the kitchen with L sampling a very tasty pound cake she was baking and J was in the living room with kids crawling all over him. I think the day was quite successful, chicken or not.

So after dropping J off at the airport a little while ago, I realized that I am a little bit congested (if you don't like the weather in Ohio, wait 5 minutes because it will change). I decided I really do want chicken and noodles goshdarnit! But my whole chicken was still solid as a rock in the fridge so I made a quick game-time decision to throw the whole chicken back in the freezer. Instead I took out some chicken pieces I found in the freezer (by found I mean I have no idea who put them there... probably an ex-roommate from way back... scary thought, eh?). The pieces are currently thawing in ice water on my counter. I hope to have them thawed and ready to roast for stock and soup before the end of the day. I will keep you posted.
(Go Giants!)

1 comment:

Laura said...

I am waiting with bated breath for your roast chicken because I actually, for the first time ever, bought 2 whole chickens, planning to roast and them and then make stock and freeze shredded chicken.