27 December 2009

I have a Reputation.

Apparently my love of food is so obvious that people who know me for entirely non-food-related-reasons still know me as a food lover. Most recently, a friend, who I know only through the internet for fantasy football reasons, offered to share a family recipe with me. He said that I would be amazed at how a simple marinade could transform a cut of meat.


It just so happened that in the next week or so after this conversation, I noticed bison flank steak on sale at Whole Foods. I happen to love bison, and flank steak is a wonderfully healthful, flavorful cut, so I decided to try it out. As luck would have it, the recent marinade conversation popped into my head, and I whipped it up in no time with mostly pantry ingredients.


I let my steak marinate in the delicious salty-sweet mixture for about 18 hours. The bison was delightfully tender and kissed with flavor throughout each bite. I cooked my steak to medium-rare (I probably should have cooked it even a tiny bit rarer).

Can you identify this green?
No idea what it is called, but it tastes delicious!


As the steak rested, I sauteed up a big pile of mushrooms, green onions and some type of tasty green from the farmers' market. I sliced the steak against the grain and piled it atop the mushroom-greens saute. It was the perfect healthy, quick meal.


I am sending this post along to Lynda of Lynda's Recipe Box who is hosting December's Family Recipes Event since it is a family recipe that was passed on to me by a friend. This event has been hosted by The Spiced Life and The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch in the past. I highly recommend checking out Lynda's site so you can catch the round up of recipes at the end of the month. I am sure there will be lots of holiday recipes to tempt you (and me!).

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and whatever else you celebrate!


Paul's Aunt's Steak Marinade

1 green onion, chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons vinegar (I used cider)
3 tablespoons oil (vegetable or olive)
Mix all ingredients in a large resealable bag; add flank steak and marinate for several hours.

1 comment:

Laura said...

The powdered sugar in there is pretty wild. I bet that marinade is awesome.