07 January 2010

Another Thumb's Up for Matzo Toffee

See, I haven't forgotten that I promised you the recipes for my Christmas treats.  Here is the first of three!

I must say that I bookmarked a recipe for Matzo Toffee on Noble Pig's blog last spring during Passover.  It took me quite awhile to finally make the decadent candy, and it was worth the wait.



I can honestly say that this toffee flew off our holiday table.  I made two full batches, and I was worried my parents were going to insist I make more.  Fortunately Laura came home with some similar toffee candy that made our parents equally happy. The Matzo Toffee is sweet and crunchy, with a seriously appealing caramelized sugar edge.  Of course, I had to gild the lily and add a little  hefty sprinkle of sea salt to add that delicious salty contrast.




The other bonus about this recipe?  It takes about 10 minutes to throw together.  It was so delicious and so impressive on our holiday spread, and people had no idea how quickly I threw it together. A simple show stopper for any gift basket, I think this definitely needs to be included in your candy-making-repertoire.



I used a box of matzo that was left over from Passover 2009 - I don't know if I should admit that or not, but the stuff doesn't seem to get stale (obviously the package was unopened until December when I made the candy). Thank you very much to Mary who provided me with the box!

Matzo Toffee
adapted from Noble Pig Blog

4-6 sheets of matzo
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 ounces good quality chocolate or chocolate chips
about 1 handful chopped, salted nuts

1-2 teaspoons good quality sea salt, to taste

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Line the sheet with matzo, breaking extra pieces to fill in any spaces.

In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together over medium heat.  Stir until the butter is completely melted and beginning to boil.  Continue to boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Working quickly, pour the mixture over the matzo, covering it completely with a heatproof spatula.  Place the pan in a 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes.  Make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. 

Remove the pan from the oven and immediately cover the matzo with good quality chocolate or chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli 60% cacao).  Place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the chocolate is melted.  Remove from the oven and spread the chocolate evenly.

Sprinkle the chocolate immediately with nuts and salt (I did one batch with cashews and one batch with almonds).

When the chocolate is completely dry, break into many pieces.  I found it kept well for several days - at least 10 or so. 

1 comment:

Laura said...

Just wanted to say your pics are totally popping with the white background. And you are taking better pictures anyway. Looking awesome.