14 July 2008

Crisp Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

I had a strange day where I decided I needed to like oatmeal. As in, I needed to be one of those people who can eat oatmeal for breakfast and feel full and happy. Oatmeal eaters seem like they are ready to face the day and climb a mountain. Guess what? I am still not an oatmeal eater. I bought a box of Silver Palate's Thick and Chewy Oatmeal (I think I found it on clearance and figured I could use it for granola if nothing else), and whipped up a batch of creamy oatmeal for breakfast. I sprinkled it with brown sugar and a dab of salt. I took maybe 4 bites and I was done. I couldn't make myself swallow the thick glop. I think I am just not an oatmeal girl.

I am, on the other hand, an oatmeal cookie girl. So when I noticed that the entire oatmeal box was covered in original Silver Palate recipes, I figured I owed it to myself and the oatmeal to turn it into something delicious. I almost succeeded in following the Silver Palate's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe perfectly - until I realized I had no chocolate chips. Whoops. I went through my cookie drawer (where all the chips, sprinkles, candies are stored) and discovered a few odds and ends that I figured would work. I had about 3 ounces of white chocolate chips, 2 ounces of a 60% cacao chocolate bar, and maybe 3 ounces of a 70-something% chocolate bar. I chopped the chocolate bars into mini-chunks and mixed them into the batter. Poof - a triple chocolate chip cookie!


These cookies are pretty good. I don't think they are the perfect Oatmeal Cookie for me - they are a tad too thin. They also have a very strong butter flavor that worked nicely with the three chocolates, but was a little overwhelming. Of course these came with me to work - and the co-workers declared them winners! I am pretty sure I could bake frozen cookie dough and they would be thrilled to have a "homemade" dessert! If I used this recipe again, I think I would use all white chocolate chips and maybe add some cherries or cranberries. I am not a huge fan of fruit in my cookies, but I think it would pair nicely with the buttery flavor.

Silver Palate's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup unsifted flour
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup butter
1 3/4 cup Thick & Rough Silver Palate Oatmeal
1/2 cup sugar
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate morsels (here is where I added my other chocolates)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Mix together butter, sugars, egg, milk and vanilla until well blended. Add flour mixture and mix well. Stir in oatmeal and chocolate pieces. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake in 375 F oven 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 4 dozen 2 1/2" cookies.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi Josie!
I'm sorry I've been so "out of the blogger" loop. But there's good reason. I became a mommy last week. We welcomed Ryan Eli into our lives. It's been a spectacular week. Check out Test Drive Kitchen to see some photos.

Best,
Karen