15 May 2008

Healthy & Delicious - an Epicurious Winner!

Kristi over at The Global Kitchen directed my attention to this delicious chicken recipe over on the CLBB. I am really happy I opened her thread! I immediately decided that I needed to make this dish, originally from Epicurious. It is very healthy, and it has a ton of rich, savory flavor. This is the perfect dish for the girl on the go - I threw it together in less than 15 minutes, and it was ready after about 30 minutes in the oven. I felt virtuous about eating it - I knew that Kali and Molly would approve of this lean protein based dinner with healthy carbs to boot!

Speaking of Kali and Molly, working out is going great! Burning my hand created a minor setback, since the doctor forbade me from going near the gym for one week. It was nice break from the structure of working out so often, but I missed getting into the gym. I have discovered that the gym provides an incredible release for me. I didn't even realize how much I needed or looked forward to working out. I sleep better and feel more energized throughout the day. I have finally started noticing a difference in my body too! I know that I am getting much stronger which is really fun (even if it freaks J out a little bit :)).


Roast Chicken Breasts with Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes, and Paprika

Use leftovers for sandwiches the next day: Place shredded chicken, garbanzos, and tomatoes in a pita bread and top with the yogurt sauce.

Prep: 15 minutes; Total: 35 minutes

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tablespoon smoked paprika*
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/2 cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt (I used creme fraiche)
4 chicken breast halves with bones(I also took the skin off)
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained (I used garbanzos that I had cooked myself)
1 12-ounce container cherry tomatoes (I used a can of fire roasted tomatoes, mostly drained)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided

Preheat oven to 450°. Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Pour 1 teaspoon spiced oil mixture into small bowl; whisk in yogurt and set aside for sauce. Place chicken on large rimmed baking sheet. Rub 2 tablespoons spiced oil mixture over chicken. Add beans, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup cilantro to remaining spiced oil mixture; toss to coat. Pour bean mixture around chicken. Sprinkle everything generously with salt and pepper.

Roast until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cilantro. Transfer chicken to plates. Spoon bean mixture over. Serve with yogurt sauce.

*Sometimes labeled Pimentón Dulce or Pimentón de La Vera Dulce; available at some supermarkets, at specialty foods stores, and from tienda.com.

Servings: Makes 4 servings

No comments: